The Tools You Will Need:
- Tape measure, pencil, note pad
- The door measurements are determined by the type of hinges that are used while hanging the cabinet doors. The most common type of hinge used in the cabinet industry today is a concealed hinge. This hinge is not visible when looking at the face of the cabinet. There are a number of different overlays, each determined by the hinge that you will be using. The following method allows for a 1/2" overlay of cabinet openings.
- Make sure there is at least 5/8" clearance around all openings.
- Always write the width first.
- Example: width 14" x 30 height"
- Measure all door openings, including drawer fronts and false fronts, to the nearest 1/8" and write sizes on a note pad. To prevent ordering errors, it’s best to measure each opening twice. Doors and drawer fronts will be custom made to the sizes you specify and can not be returned.
Figuring Order Sizes:
- Add 1" to the width and 1" to the height of each opening size* (This allows for a 1/2" overlay of cabinet openings).
- When figuring ordering size for split door openings (two doors covering the same opening), add 1" to the height; then add 1" to the width and divide by 2 and subtract 1/16". This allows for 1/8" gap between doors.
- Split Door Example:
- 36" + 1" = 37"
- 37" ÷ 2 = 18 1/2"
- 18 1/2" - 1/16" = 18 7/16"
- Order two doors to cover any opening more than 22" wide.
- Enter final sizes on your notes.
- Using a separate sheet of paper enter actual custom sizes and quantities you wish to order.
- Fill out our Order Forms for Wood Cabinet Doors, Thermofoil Cabinet Doors, Painted Cabinet Doors, and Veneer Cabinet Doors
- Remember you're ordering size needs to include the 1" calculation. If you order by the opening size it will be too small.
- When ordering for overlays of different dimensions (3/4", 1", 1 1/2", 2") substitute these number for the 1" overlay numbers noted above.